|House of Culture|
In 1814 this former residence of the British Governor of Belize was a symbol of British colonial rule.“Government House” on Regent Street in Belize City was the seat of Colonial government in British Honduras with the compound housing both the administrative offices and living quarters for the governors of Belize.
In 1996, this gracious mansion was renamed the “House of Culture” and extensive renovations undertaken to retain the architectural integrity of the building while converting it for public use. The House of Culture is open daily for tours of the original furnishings and silverware from the days of the colonial governors combined with exhibitions by Belizean artists. Also on the grounds is the ‘Sea King’, a beautifully restored wooden tender.
The House of Culture is home to the Institute of Social and Cultural Research and is also a popular venue for social events and open air concerts.