|St. John's Cathedral|
Dating to the early 1800’s, St John’s Cathedral is the oldest surviving building of Belize’s colonial period as well as the oldest Anglican Church in Central America.
Directly across the street from the House of Culture at the intersection of Regent and Albert Streets in Belize City is St. John's Cathedral. The church was built by slaves from bricks brought to Belize as ballast in the hulls of ships sailing from Europe. The building took eight years to complete and inside one can find many original architectural touches including intricate stained glass windows, ornate mahogany pews and an antique organ.
During the 1600’s Britain conducted the coronations of 4 Mosquito kings in this cathedral. The indigenous Miskito tribe along the coast between Honduras and Nicaragua favored the English over the Spanish colonists and the coronations were a short-lived attempt to secure English interests in logwood extraction in the area.